The first Jewish cemetery in Riga was opened in 1725, and burials continued there until the end of the 1930s. After German troops occupied Riga in 1941, the cemetery became a mass grave site for more than 1,000 Jews who were killed on the streets and in the houses of the Riga ghetto. After World War II, many of the gravestones from the cemetery were removed and used as building material. In the 1960s, the place was destroyed and renamed "Communist Brigades Park". In 1992, the park was renamed the "Old Jewish Cemetery". Currently, the park, located in one of the poorest areas of the city, called Maskachka (Maskava is the Latvian name for Moscow), is a popular place for idle drunks, local kids and American tourists. The film is dedicated to the memory of the Jews of Riga.